Original University Diploma
- Teachers will need to submit their original bachelor's level diploma before obtaining a work visa. Notarized copies with an Apostille certificate are also acceptable. Note: Americans, British, Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans must have an Apostille certificate from the department of State office before applying for the work visa.
Canadians do not use Apostille, therefore teachers from Canada will need to have their diplomas notarized by a notary public, then brought or mailed to the Korean consulate in their jurisdiction for a Consulate verification stamp.
Officially Sealed Transcripts
- Teachers will be required to present officially sealed transcripts from their college or university to verify the diplomas authenticity. Your sealed transcripts must be 'officially sealed' and the university seal should be overlapping the back flap of the envelope in addition to the issuer's signature and a dated stamp when possible. Transcripts that do not meet Immigration requests will be rejected by the Immigration office. Two sets of transcripts will be required, therefore make sure to obtain duplicate copies. Please Note: Your transcripts MUST illustrate the full (3 years minimum) term of your university/college career.
Criminal Background Check
- All teachers need to submit a criminal background check to the Korean immigration office. Note: Background checks are also known as; criminal clearance letters, criminal history reports, criminal background search.
Canadian Teachers - Must request a Vulnerable Sector Search when applying for their background check.
American Teachers - Must request a State Wide search. County and/or city checks may result in visa related problems when applying.
UK, NZ, AS, SA Teachers - Must request the appropriate background check from their local or provincial police offices.
- You must have a valid passport from one of the 7 countries listed. Korean Immigration requires individuals to have at least 6 months remaining on their passport expiry. Less then 6 months remaining on your passport will result in denied access when going through customs. Seoul Teaching recommends having at least 12 months remaining on your passport.
Official Passport Photos
- 5 official size passport photos will be needed. Black and white photos will not be accepted.
Self Health Assessment Form
- You will need to complete a self assessed medical form in addition to the other documents listed. You can locate this form on our document downloads page.
Visa Application Form
- A completed visa application form will eventually be required by the Korean consulate in your area. Note: You will need a sponsor (Korean employer) before you're able to complete the form. The Seoul Teaching staff will provide you with the proper information at the correct stage of the procedures. The visa form can be downloaded from our document downloads page.
Desirable Traits and Characteristics - From a Korean employer and recruiter's perspective